USB3.0 to NGFF M.2 Key B 4G 5G Modem Adapter Enclosure is a useful device for connecting a 5G 3050 (M.2) cellular modem card (Tested with the Quectel Wireless RM500Q, RM510Q, and SIMCOM SIM8200 series) as well as 4G LTE NGFF (M.2) modem cards (i.e., Sierra Wireless EM7565, EM7455, EM7354, Quectel EM12-G, EM20-G, EM06-A, etc.) behind a PC or router via a USB port.
NOTICE : This version of these adapters do not power on with only the Aux power input. This adapter will only power on when the main USB3 cable is plugged in and powered. The Aux power input is only supplementing the power to the modem when the main USB3 cable is present and powered.
NOTE: The Sierra EM919x series 5G and Telit 5G cards do NOT work in this adapter. Quectel 5G modems 100% DO work in this adapter. For the Sierra EM919x/EM7690 we do have an adapter that works, HERE.
The enclosure's SIM Card slot is equipped with ESD protection and uses a Standard (full size) SIM Card.
The USB 3.0 A Male to Micro-B Male plug (AM-Micro BM) provides a durable and solid connection to the enclosure. The data power cable is 15.75 inches long and may be extended with the use of quality USB 3.0 extension cables.
USB3.0 (4.8Gbps) boasts of providing Ten Times the capability of USB 2.0. It also provides 900mA power as opposed to 500mA utilized thru USB 2.0. Type A connectors are are backwards compatible to USB 2.0 and/or USB 1.1.
The PCB is engineered with the industry inductance and an independent power capacitor and is equipped with an extra Micro USB power port for applications where additional (dual) power is required.
It accepts a wide range of DC input voltage from 5V-27V with a maximum output of 3.3V/3A (9W) to accommodate even the most power intensive M.2 modems.
The enclosure may be used on a desktop or mounted to a wall. It uses the industry standard SMA Male 4G LTE antennas (purchased separately, see antenna options below) and includes two MHF4 to SMA female bulkhead (1.13 cables) pigtails (to connect the M.2 modem to the antennas).
There are six cutout holes totaled in the cases (two in front and 4 in the rear) for adding additional antennas to accommodate 2×2 and 4×4 MIMO M.2 modems.
Compatible Cellular Omni SMA Male Antennas:
- 700-2700MHz Rectangular 3.5dBi-4dBi 4G LTE Omni Antenna with SMA Male Connectors (PAIR)
- 600-3800MHz Cellular Omni-Directional Paddle Antennas (SMA Connectors) PAIR
- 698-2700MHz Cradlepoint 3dBi 4G LTE Omni Antenna (PAIR)
- 700-2700MHz 5dBi Cellular Hotspot Omni-Directional Antennas (SMA Connectors) – Pair
- When extending the USB3.0 cable use only large diameter and quality cable to prevent voltage drop which can and will lead to disconnect issues.
- When adding antennas, select the SMA antenna upgrades. The RP-SMA will not work without installing MHF4 connector to RP-SMA bulkhead connector pigtails.
- When using a SIM Card adapter (i.e., micro to standard, etc), take precaution that the SIM card fits “freely” and flat into the adapter. In other words, you should not have to force the SIM card into the adapter. A SIM card that is too tight, when installed in the SIM slot, can rise and cause a misalignment between the adapter pins and SIM card. All tits/nubs on the side of the SIM card should be sanded smooth. This is easily done with a laying a nail file/emery board/piece of sand paper flat on table top, and working the SIM card evenly across until smooth.
- This USB adapter will not work on the Mini PCI-E modem cards (i.e., Sierra Wireless MC series cards). The USB3 to Mini PCI-E adapter enclosure must be used.
- In order for a Windows based PC to recognize a Sierra Wireless modem card, regardless of how it is being attached, the Sierra Wireless Windows drivers must first be installed on the Windows device. Refer to our LTE FIX IT Series tutorial
- 1 x USB 3.0 to NGFF (M.2) 4G 5G PCB and Enclosure
- 1 x USB3.0 to Micro-B Male 15.75 Inch power Cable
- 2 x MHF4 to SMA Female Bulkhead connector 1.13 pigtails
- 1 x M2 Screw
**Antennas and M.2 Modem are not included
A look inside the case:
Example of a 4×4 MIMO install: