This USB3.0 to NGFF M.2 Key B 4G 5G Modem Adapter Enclosure is the newest version of our USB3 to M.2 adapter. It is a device for connecting a 5G 3050 (M.2) cellular modem card (Tested with the Quectel Wireless RM500Q, RM510Q, Sierra Wireless EM919x series, and SIMCOM SIM8200 series) as well as 4G LTE NGFF 3040 (M.2) modem cards (i.e., Sierra Wireless EM7565, EM7455, EM7354, Quectel EM160R-GL, EM12-G, EM20-G, EM06-A, and Telit 4G LTE M.2 Modems.), and now supporting the slightly different length of the Telit 5G modems, behind a PC or router via a USB port.
NOTICE : This version has been updated to use a 2.1mm barrel plug style power input for auxiliary power input, instead of the older style that used a micro B USB cable. The stated voltage for aux power is 5V-12VDC.
NOTICE : This version works with most all version of cellular 5G modems including the Sierra EM919x series as well as Telit FN9xx 5G modems.
Note: The Sierra EM919x series 5G cards require a different voltage level than other 5G modems on a certain set of pin. This requires the side of board switch to be set in the “down” position ( shown in the image above) to enable the EM919x module to be in USB mode.
The all steel modem enclosure includes an attached aluminum heatsink and thermal heat transfer pads to draw heat away from the modem card, keeping your modem cooler and operating safely. We do still recommend adding a quality heat sink to the top of the modem card to further protect your modem equipment investment.
Quectel EM160 Modem shown installed above
The enclosure’s SIM Card slot is equipped with ESD protection and uses a NANO SIM Card Slot.
The USB 3.0 A Male to Micro-B Male plug (AM-Micro BM) provides a durable and solid connection to the enclosure. The data power cable may be extended with the use of quality USB 3.0 extension cables. We do not recommend a length of more than 10 feet.
USB3.0 (4.8Gbps) boasts of providing Ten Times the capability of USB 2.0. It also provides 900mA power as opposed to 500mA utilized thru USB 2.0. Type A connectors are are backwards compatible to USB 2.0 and/or USB 1.1.
The PCB is engineered with the industry inductance and an independent power capacitor and is equipped with an extra Micro USB power port for applications where additional (dual) power is required.
It accepts a wide range of DC input voltage from 5V-12V with a maximum output of 3.3V/3A (9W) to accommodate even the most power intensive M.2 modems.
The enclosure may be used on a desktop or mounted to a wall. It uses the industry standard SMA Male 4G LTE antennas (purchased separately, see antenna options below) and includes two MHF4 to SMA female bulkhead (1.13 cables) pigtails (to connect the M.2 modem to the antennas).
There are six cutout holes totaled in the cases (two in front and 4 in the rear) for adding additional antennas to accommodate 2×2 and 4×4 MIMO M.2 modems.
Compatible Cellular Omni SMA Male Antennas:
- 700-2700MHz Rectangular 3.5dBi-4dBi 4G LTE Omni Antenna with SMA Male Connectors (PAIR)
- 600-3800MHz Cellular Omni-Directional Paddle Antennas (SMA Connectors) PAIR
- 698-2700MHz Cradlepoint 3dBi 4G LTE Omni Antenna (PAIR)
- 700-2700MHz 5dBi Cellular Hotspot Omni-Directional Antennas (SMA Connectors) – Pair
- When extending the USB3.0 cable use only large diameter and quality cable to prevent voltage drop which can and will lead to disconnect issues.
- When adding antennas, select the SMA antenna upgrades. The RP-SMA will not work without installing MHF4 connector to RP-SMA bulkhead connector pigtails.
- When using a SIM Card adapter (i.e., micro to standard, etc), take precaution that the SIM card fits “freely” and flat into the adapter. In other words, you should not have to force the SIM card into the adapter. A SIM card that is too tight, when installed in the SIM slot, can rise and cause a misalignment between the adapter pins and SIM card. All tits/nubs on the side of the SIM card should be sanded smooth. This is easily done with a laying a nail file/emery board/piece of sand paper flat on table top, and working the SIM card evenly across until smooth.
- This USB adapter will not work on the Mini PCI-E modem cards (i.e., Sierra Wireless MC series cards). The USB3 to Mini PCI-E adapter enclosure must be used.
- In order for a Windows based PC to recognize a Sierra Wireless modem card, regardless of how it is being attached, the Sierra Wireless Windows drivers must first be installed on the Windows device. Refer to our LTE FIX IT Series tutorial
- 1 x USB 3.0 to NGFF (M.2) 4G 5G PCB and Enclosure
- 1 x USB3.0 to Micro-B Male 15.75 Inch power Cable
- 2 x MHF4 to SMA Female Bulkhead connector 1.13 pigtails
- 1 x M2 Screw
**Antennas and M.2 Modem are not included
Example of a 4×4 MIMO install: